Central Lutheran Church
About This Project
In the early part of the 21st century, an anonymous gift was given to construct the majestic 149’ tall bell tower of Central Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
This bell tower was designed along with the new church in 1926 but although the church was built, the tower had to wait generations to be constructed – in great part because of the Great Depression.
Along with the gift of the tower, a grand carillon of 47 cast bronze bells from the famed Paccard Foundry was given.
The cast bronze bell carillon is played manually with a traditional keyboard and each year is one stop of an important carillon concert season with carillonneurs from all over the world coming to play.
The tower and bells were not only a gift to Central Lutheran Church, but a significant outreach and cultural jewel to the inhabitants of downtown Minneapolis.
Christoph Paccard Bell Foundry service technicians maintain the carillon in perfect condition; the instrument receives rave reviews from musicians for its superb condition during the summer concert season.
Photo courtesy of Bentz / Thompson / Rietow Architects.